My goodness, I just checked, and apparently the last time I did one of these things was way back in 2013? This is how much I’ve slacked off. Well, in my current attempt to get back into the swing of blogging things, I’m resurrecting this old feature and hopefully it sticks around this time!
— Game Of Thrones (@GameOfThrones) November 25, 2014
- If you haven’t seen it yet, embedded above is the a teaser trailer for the fifth season of Game of Thrones, which is yet another feature during the early days of this blog that i‘ve neglected. I started that when it was just the show’s first season!
- If you head on over to The Hollywood Reporter, you’ll find a list of Hollywood’s 25 Most Powerful Authors, ranked in order of influence. It should come as no surprise that J.K. Rowling tops that list. I mean, c’mon. (Source)
- Crime novelist P.D. James died yesterday at the age of 94. Both The Guardian and The New York Times have obituaries up. I have to be honest and say I was only aware of Death Comes To Pemberley. (Source 1) (Source 2)
- I did not know that there was some outrage regarding the news that some of Gabriel Garcia Marquez’ archive would be going to the University fo Texas. Heck, I didn’t even know that the effects were going to the University of Texas! But all seems well now as Marquez’ family is saying that his Nobel prize medal, the typewriter on which he wrote One Hundred Years of Solitude and some books from his own collection would be donated to the National Library of Colombia. (Source)
- A first folio of Shakespeare’s work has been discovered at a small library in Northern France. Just in case you don’t get how big this is, there are only 232 first folios out there in the world. Two hundred thirty-three if you count his one. (Source)
- If you’re writing a novel and you feel like what you’re doing is crap, check out William Gibson’s essay in The Guardian about how he wrote Neuromancer. He didn’t think it would amount to anything! Neuromancer! The novel that won the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award, and the Hugo Award! (Source)
- If you guys aren’t aware (Because all of you guys should be totally AWARE of what I do every waking moment of my life), I’ve gotten back into comics over the past year or so. and you guys totally need to read Matt Fraction and Christian Ward’s ODY-C. If you’ve ever wondered what The Odyssey would look like genderbent and set in space, this is the comic book for you. Comic Book Resources also has a great review, if I haven’t convinced you yet. (Source)
- I don’t know how to feel about this new version of the Peter Pan story. Probably the only thing that will convince me to watch it is shirtless Garrett Hedlund. Which it looks like it doesn’t have. Huh. HERE HAVE A PHOTO OF SHIRTLESS GARRETT HEDLUND.
- Finally, if you’ve got money to spare, why not consider donating to this Kickstarter for a children’s book about a family with two mothers called Zak’s Safari? (Source)